Friday, June 19, 2009

Movie night

I'm kicking myself because I didn't drag Chuck out of the house yesterday to watch the MSU Theater Dept.'s Summer Circle Theater performance. It was such a nice day, but I was pooped, and really felt like knitting. Today's performance will likely be rained out (it's not looking promising outside right now). And I'll miss the Saturday performance because Sylvain is returning from Scout camp tomorrow and I was hoping that we'd go to the East Lansing Jazz Fest to hear his bass instructor perform (as part of the Arlene McDaniels Trio).

Chuck's headed for Cleveland tonight for the twins Christening tomorrow. I had been making Debby Ware's cupcake beanies as a present for them and finished the knitting last weekend. During my lazy evening last night, I *tried* to make the pom-poms for the beanies, but failed miserably. The yarn kept tangling on me while I was trying to wrap it around my cardboard template (please don't ask me how -- but it kept ending up as a loose wad of yarn; maybe I was being all thumbs or something). Even though I hate making pom-poms, I hated even more the thought of giving away the beanies without them, so was driven out of bed at 5 this morning to finish the project once and for all. Even then, I couldn't get the sizing right and started snipping away at the pom-poms to get them down to an evenly-shaped round ball. The more I cut, the more nervous I got that I'd end up cutting it lop-sided or down to nothing. It reminded me of the one and only time that I ever cut my own hair. I was a freshman in high school and wanted bangs, but ended up with a spike of hair that was approximately a half-inch long. Though I give myself credit for single-handedly bringing back headbands into local fashion....

Tonight, I've made plans with Mark and Becky for a movie night. For some reason, Becky managed to escape the 80s and 90s without watching some of James Cameron's best films. Mark and I are taking care of this deficiency by having a marathon viewing of "Terminator", "Terminator 2", and "Aliens". I have plenty of knitting to do and, hopefully, the tense parts of these films won't be reflected in my stitches...

No comments: