Sunday, June 14, 2009

Annoyed!

Last night was another sleepless night. I finished the second cupcake beanie around 1 am and began working on the toe shaping for Chuck's Flat Feet sock. He was still awake, so I asked him what he thought about the sock so far; his reply was a less than enthused "Don't you think I have enough socks?"

Well, actually no, dip shit. Sure, he has a slight excess of generic, white tube socks, but I haven't made a pair of hand knit socks for him already. Ever. If you're a fellow fiber friend, then I'm sure that you're nodding your head in agreement that there's nothing that takes the wind out of project's sails more than knowing the item isn't wanted or appreciated. And, if you're familiar with me, then you're also well aware of the Herculean effort it is for me to actually knit socks. One glance at my Ravelry project page is enough evidence to show that I prefer larger productions such as multi-colored sweaters and other interesting challenges.

So, this morning while Sylvain was putting the last items he'll need at Scout camp this week, I pulled out the ball winder, stripped out the remaining rows of yarn on the flat, and tore the sock down to a ball. For yarn that's $25 per pair, I sure as hell was not about to finish them and give it to someone who could care less. For a fleeting moment, I considered finishing them and offering them up to anyone who wore a men's 11.5 or 12, but the destructive side of me won and I felt immense satisfaction as the stitches flew off the fabric.

I'm hanging out at Beaner's waiting for Sue to chit chat, during which I'll cast-on a new pair of socks. For me, this time...

1 comment:

Nancy McRay said...

I can relate.

I have knit a couple of pairs of sox for my guy - he never wears them. He pretends to appreciate - but never hard enough. Knit something great for yourself! And then soak in the compliments.