Saturday, January 30, 2010

Warm and fuzzy week

Considering that Sunday was so shitty, I fully expected that this past week would suck just as badly. Thankfully, the universe had other plans for me. Sure, my computer at work nearly bit the big one with having horrendous space issues; but after burning quite a bit of data onto DVDs and adding on a 1 TB external hard drive for the rest of my files that I use on a more regular basis, all was right with the world again.

Things that happened that were just wonderful included:

  • Returning to my office on Monday morning after being in Port Huron Thursday and Friday to find a nice "Thank you" card made by the Girl Scouts I had taught to knit the weekend before. They even drew a fun illustration of their cat mats. It felt pretty good to feel appreciated!

  • I finished the Chemo Turban and the Lotus Hat of the chemo caps I had been working on. Sarah dropped off Heda to visit this weekend, so part of my plans today are to wash both and get them photo ready with Heda as my model. I'll post those photos, hopefully, tomorrow.
  • I got a good start on chemo cap #4: Wavy Cable Lace Hat. Like the Lotus Hat, I'm knitting it using Berroco Comfort DK and it's looking pretty good so far. While out helping Mark pick out a couch today, I was able to get quite a bit further than shown in the photo, and hope to finish this hat either later tonight or sometime tomorrow. My goal this year is to knit 5 hats before next Saturday. If I reach that goal early, I'm going to quit there because I have a baby blanket to knit before the end of February (which is the absolute worst month to have a knitting due date in because it's so short)...
  • I also finished "The Book Thief" a full week before the February book club meeting. Normally, I'm finishing the book the morning of. Considering the amount of trouble I had in keeping track of where my copy of this book, it's amazing that I was able to finish it early. Finish it I did, and I can say that I liked it a lot. Though, I'm not sure I would categorize it within the "Juvenile" or "Youth" fiction, which is where the local Schulers Books had it.
  • This week, I nearly completed updating my entire yarn stash onto Ravelry. My only hurdle came when the battery on the digital scale died and I can't seem to get my act together to remember to pick up a replacement while at the store. The one time that I actually included it on my shopping list (as "3V lithium battery, 25-cent size"), I discovered that the store had two types of 3V lithiums and neither appeared to be 25-cent sized, necessitating a closer look at the battery for an actual model number. Anyways, I found a new distraction to watch while uploading and editing yarn photos in Flickr. Not being much of a gal to wear make-up, I never really learned how to put make up on. Yes, I know it's shameful, but I'm hoping that when I get to the point of needing it to hide the wrinkles, I'll be ready after watching these videos on YouTube. She's actually pretty entertaining by losing her train of thought at times and needing to stop and restart the video....
  • Lastly, while dropping Heda off last night, Sarah also brought me a copy of a movie called "The Room" that belongs to Jordan. This movie is supposed to be epically bad -- so much so that it's actually hard to find. I'm very grateful to have a copy of it in hand, and am looking forward towards hosting a "Bad Movie" night with it as the marquee film. That is, unless Mark is able to find a copy of "Jesus Christ, Vampire Hunter" (which, interestingly enough, IMDB classifies as a "Kung-fu action/comedy"!). We might actually need to have a vote after viewing.

No comments: