Sunday, January 24, 2010

Maybe it's me that needs to go to anger management

[WARNING: A rather explicit conversation follows that might not BSFW]

So, I'm now sitting in the parking lot of a gas station in Alma, waiting for to pick up Sylvain, who had spent the weekend visiting his dad. As usual, they phoned while I was already on my way here to say that they'd be an hour late. Since this is now the norm, I'm glad to have my knitting with me to work on while I wait. [project photos will be added when I return to a real computer]

As I was sitting in my car, a car load of teenage girls pulls into the spot next to me; they all hop out and, while doing so, one of the girls slams her door right into my car, hard enough for me to look up in surprise. I immediately am pissed off and say out loud "Thanks a whole fucking lot", though between the sound of my engine that was left running and the other girls jabbering away, I doubt she could've heard me. Seeing the annoyed look on my face and that I had said something, the girl stopped right outside of my window and said, "Yeah?"

Rolling my window down, I asked her if she even noticed what she had done. Rather than offering an "oops" or a "sorry" or an "oops, sorry", she proceeded to inform me that her friend had parked her car "within the line".

Can somebody please tell me what that has to do with anything? I parked within the line as well, but that didn't change the fact of the matter that she didn't exercise any care or caution while getting out of their car.

She then told me that I needed to go back to driver's education. Immediately, I became even more inflamed. "Listen, missy, maybe you need to pay a little more attention the next time you get out of a car. And your friend needs to think about whether her car will even fit into a space before parking."

Her only reply was to make smart-aleck faces accompanied by some head nodding. And, of course, that made me even more angry. Seeing that expecting anything apologetic from her was stupid on my part, I just said, "You know, FUCK YOU, LADY", rolled up my window, and ignored her.

Her friends had already entered the gas station (which I found to be odd that they didn't stick around to watch the spectacle, maybe this kid causes scenes wherever she goes), so she turned and went inside. I decided that I really wasn't up for a Round 2, so figured that I'd burn some time by taking a drive around town. (I've since returned to my parking spot to continue waiting.)

However during the whole drive, I couldn't help but wonder at my short fuse (why am I swearing at stupid strangers?), but also at what reaction did she expect to see when she slammed into my car with no sense of shame? I mean, I was sitting right here, for crying out loud! I can understand if the car was unoccupied....Was I expected to thank her for gracing me with my very own door ding?

Sorry that this is the second rant entry I'm throwing out into the world, but my chest was heavy with these thoughts and I really wanted to get them out....Anyways, maybe it's time I seriously consider anger management therapy or meditation or something so that these types of things don't bother me like they do.

No comments: