Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Yes, I am a complete stick in the mud


So, here I am loading up my stick shuttle with weft yarn for my woven napkins and am preparing to weave while watching Chocolat (more on this later), all the while waiting for Chuck to call to be picked up from the Common Ground Festival. Call me coarse, but he had wanted to see tonight's Stone Temple Pilots performance. He wanted me to go, but I turned him down knowing that the evening wouldn't end well if I had gone. Call me a complete stick in the mud, but I cannot stand attending rock concerts. I've been to three:
  1. Metallica, Suicidal Tendencies, & Danzig (in '94 when Metallica was on tour for the Black album -- being a die-hard Madonna fan, this was NOT my scene, so I was sitting in the car ready to go long before Metallica made it on stage; You may wonder why I was there...I went b/c of my ex....and that was the absolute last time I went to a concert to make a guy happy);
  2. R.E.M. (in '95 at the Breslin, for which I had scored a free ticket from a stranger whose friend didn't show); and
  3. Smashing Pumpkins (in '97?, again at Breslin, with the incident where Renee lets out the most blood-curdling scream after nearly stepping on an abandoned pair of women's panties in the parking lot).
[Okay, this isn't counting the infamous "Hey Aimee! Hey Anne Marie! Would you like a little ass in your face?!?" incident during the '94 Verve Pipe concert at the MSU Aud. If you lived on 6 North Hubbard that fall, you may recall this. But, anyways, I don't consider anything held at the Aud a bona fide concert...] Nonetheless, each time not only did I walk away with an insufferable headache, but I spent most of the evening being trounced on. I am only 4'9", after all, and tend to get stepped on when in large crowds.

Now, as for Chocolat: I have 2 confessions to make. Although it was up for several Oscars when it first hit theaters, I haven't previously watched this movie. There wasn't any real reason why, just that it hadn't caught my interest before. Secondly, I don't really understand the fascination a lot of gals have with Johnny Depp. This came to light while discussing the upcoming Alice in Wonderland movie. I think he is a fine actor, but don't feel any particular pull towards him or his movies because of him. Being a Depp fan, Sarah has insisted that Chocolat will change my opinion of him. I'll have to give a review in my next post....so, if you excuse me, I have a movie to watch and napkins to weave.

UPDATE: Just got home from picking up Chuck and he confirmed all of my fears -- even he had a hard time with folks pushing and having beer dumped on (and maybe even urine, though he wasn't exactly sure); and he can't seem to control the volume of his voice, since he can't really hear himself talk.

No comments: