Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Time wasting


My evening after dinner and washing up the dishes has come to a screeching halt. I've spent the last hour on-line cleaning up e-mail, signing-up for yet another social-networking time-sucker (Digg), and viewing all of the Facebook notifications I've ignored over the past 6-months or more. That's when I saw the funniest little notification glitch...if you don't have a sense of humor like me, then you might not get it, but the image to the right made me laugh out loud to the point where Chuck wandered into the office to see what was so funny.

Last night was a very productive weaving night -- I finished napkin number two and started the third one. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep up this progress. I did watch Chocolat and thought it was a cute movie. I like Alfred Molina and needed to update my movie queue with a few more of his films. But, the movie didn't fill Sarah's objective to open my eyes to the beauty of Johnny Depp. Sorry, but I've still got nothing. I've always been more of a Brad Pitt-gal. Maybe I should send some of those movies Sarah's way....

I realize now that there were a couple of things I forgot to mention a few things in yesterday's post that I just have to get out. First, I'm quite annoyed that SciFi changed it's name to Syfy. Why was this necessary? It's one of the channels that I watch the most and hope that this doesn't mean a shift in programming away from shows such as Ghost Hunters, Eureka, and Battlestar. (Even though Battlestar's run is over, hopefully, they'll come up with a new show that's just as good. I recorded Warehouse 13, but have yet to watch it.) I mean, where else can I count on a completely ridiculous made-for-TV monster movies like Mansquito, Ice Spiders, or Gargoyles: Wings of Darkness?!?

Second, I also recently watched The Machinist -- a Christian Bale movie that is pretty creepy, but somewhat disappointing in that I had a good part of it figured out before the end. It's about a guy who hasn't slept in a year who starts hallucinating. The hardest part to watch about the whole movie is Bale's weight -- this is the role that he dropped 63 pounds for and it really shows. His movie diet was reported to have been coffee, cigarettes, and one apple per day. I'm a little lukewarm about this flick and not entirely sure that I'd recommend this movie...

[SPOILER skip to next paragraph if you don't want to read this: One of the creepiest things about this movie for me was that the day after watching this movie, I saw a link for this article about this 6-year girl in L.A. Sure, The Machinist was a movie (and his hallucinations came from trauma), but to think that such a young person can be schizophrenic is very sad.]

On a lighter note, I know this has been out for the past week or so, but just in case you haven't seen this totally cute video of babies roller skating, then definitely check out this link. And before the smart-ass comments can begin -- yes, I know that's all CGI, but somebody out there can skate like that and I'm totally jealous of them for it.

Lastly, I met my crazy person for the week yesterday at the South Cedar Beaner's. After dropping off Chuck at the Common Ground Festival, I decided to grab a coffee before stopping at Jane's house for knit-night. The guy in front of me was middle-aged, dressed in a tank top and shorts, and had a walking stick. We're not talking about a trekking pole with shock absorbers or anything like that -- it was a tall, simple, knobbly wooden stick with a hole notched at the top for a piece of leather strapping he had tied in a loop through it. Why on earth would someone in the urban wasteland that is South Lansing need such a walking stick? The baristas were very talkative and tried to be helpful as he precariously carried a tray filled with three different drinks and his walking stick out the door. The barista making my drink and I watched as "urban hiker" walked across the parking lot, carefully placed the tray full of drinks on the roof of his car, and gingerly set his walking stick into the back seat. With both of us shaking our heads, I tried to laugh it off by asking, "I wonder where he's going...." "I don't know, but he's a regular and always brings that stick with him," the barista replied. How very strange! He obviously didn't need it while walking to the car; by the look of things, it was somewhat in the way of carrying his drinks.

Maybe I need to hang out at this Beaner's more often in the evening! That'll guarantee more odd-folk fodder for the blog....

No comments: