Saturday, May 23, 2009

My soapbox

Thank you dear reader for sticking with me this long; so tonight, I have a little rant to share. One that involves one of my all-time pet-peeves: movie theater etiquette and kids.

It's just shy of midnight, and Chuck, Sylvain, and I just got home from the 9:15 showing of "Terminator: Salvation". The movie was okay. I didn't have high expectations, but I didn't find it as bad as the reviews I had read lead me to believe it would be. I was more irritated by John Connor in "Terminator 2"....

Anyways, early on into the movie, a baby in the audience started crying. Yes, folks, an actual little baby. This went on for only about 10 minutes or so, but nonetheless, it made me mad.

There had been plenty of times that I set aside the things that I wanted to do to care for Sylvain when he was little. Movie attendance included. Those little ears are way too sensitive for the loud, seat-rumbling explosions and sounds of people yelling and crying in pain. I clearly don't understand why these parents feel that it's okay to bring small kids to these films.

And, if by some freak of nature, you happen to be that girl with the baby in the theater and you're reading this, please take the following to heart: "Lady, your baby is crying because it's probably distressed and scared because of the noise around it. If you can't afford a sitter, the movies is the last place you should be....Trust me, I've been in your shoes: keep your kid at home and watch the movie on DVD after they've gone to bed. In no time, they'll be old enough to enjoy the movie with you at the theater."

No comments: