Monday, March 9, 2009

The day I forgot about my breasts

Yesterday was a day of reflection. It was the day that I woke up and found that the Estes sweater that's been proudly featured here in a few posts does not fit. That the pieces that were carefully seamed together the night before are just plain too small. Yes, I had ignored the skeptical glances from friends when I showed off each piece. Yes, that was me responding to Cheanne's questions about measurement with "I'm a 38 and the finished measurements are to 41.5 and my pieces were blocking to the correct sizes."

{sigh}

Yes, you guessed it, I forgot about my breasts. "How can this be? I've seen you work on many a sweater!?!" you may be wondering. Well, I'm wondering the same thing too. The only way that I can rationalize it is that almost all of the sweaters that I've made for myself are Norwegian-style ski sweaters and those tend to be larger and more forgiving towards these indiscretions, being meant for wearing outdoors without a coat. Maybe the bulk found in that style has skillfully hidden the fact that I must not have a good understanding about measurement and fit.

I recently mentioned tearing out a tank sweater made from Cotton Twist because it didn't fit correctly. Here, I've gone all these years thinking that the pattern was all wrong, when it was probably me mis-reading the sizing.

Well, now that I've spilled my guts out on this and have hung my head in shame, the Estes sweater has been left with Cheanne (goddess of destruction) to reduce it back down to just balls of yarn. I will certainly redo this project and have two more untouched hanks of the Cascade Pastaza yarn that was used for it left, so am assured to be able to achieve the correct size. But now, I'm left to wonder about the yarn bought for three other sweater projects. Maybe I'll drag 'em out at Tuesday's knit-in and beg for verification that I have enough yarn for the sizes I need...

No comments: