Saturday, August 9, 2008

It was good to see Jessie, but am happy to be back in town!




So, for those of you who know Jessie and may not be reading her blog (though you should be!): she's doing very well and even received a promotion last week! I caught up with her on Thursday night and was given a tour of Boston. I didn't know that you could literally walk from one end of town to the other in an hour or so, but you can! Jessie's office is downtown to begin with, so we walked across the street through Boston Common, then through a couple of blocks to Quincy Market. Had dinner at Ned Devine's. I guess if I were a real history buff, I would've read up a little more about the town and knew to head directly to one place or another. It was a little over-whelming to see all of these places at once!

The return flight was fine. I would've updated the blog earlier but couldn't access wi-fi service at Logan or Detroit-Metro (I thought we had a gov't pass on these laptops?!?). The biggest thing that made the Boston-Detroit flight interesting was that I sat next to Stuart Slavid, who is one of the appraisers for the Antique's Road Show. He was on his way to Grand Rapids to tape a show this weekend. We made small talk (me asking about pottery and porcelain that he specializes in; him about the knitting in my lap), but since I don't watch the show and have seen it when Chuck has it on, I couldn't really ask anything intelligent. That's just as well b/c I'm sure he's tired of being interrogated every time he's a captive audience on an airplane.

I got home to find my house a complete and total mess. The guys themselves have been home only a couple of days, having spent the earlier part of the week out and about; but I'm still just amazed at how much damage they can do in that short amount of time!! For when I'm out of town, I really need to hire a maid service that can come in and do the major cleaning on the Fridays before I return home. Having them come in at any time earlier in the week would be self-defeating....

So, we went to East Lansing last night: Sylvain to a 8-8 LAN party at the FRAG center; Chuck and I to the Folk Fest. We ran into Becky and the three of us spent the rest of the evening on the patio at Harpers for dinner, good conversation, and enjoying the music (since the dance tent was right across the street). Afterwards, Chuck and I picked up three movies that we didn't watch ("Stargate: Continuum", "Vantage Point", and "Flawless") b/c I fell immediately to sleep. I'm getting so old!!

Sylvain phoned us from the party at 4:30 saying that he was too tired to stay and wanted to go home. Talk about being woken up in the middle of the night by a sad child! And I thought those days were over! So, the party had it's usual suspects: geeky men and young teens. I was happy to see that one of ELPD's finest was there playing along on one of the computers. This is the first lock-in that Sylvain wasn't there without Chuck, so was a little nervous about letting him go alone.

Well that's more than enough for now. Looking forward to getting the house in order and going to a going away party for Dave & Anne....

No comments: