Thursday, August 14, 2008

Chuck is so easily entertained!



When I arrived home from this evening's walk, I found both breezeway doors wide open with the hose running from one side of the house to the other and no one in sight. At the time, Sylvain was at a friend's house, so that left only Chuck, who was fiddling around the yard when I left.

First off, let me say that it really irks me when he runs the hose through the breezeway b/c it tracks in wet and mud onto the carpet; but if you knew the guy, those things aren't really high on the priority list. Secondly, is it really that difficult to run the hose around the outside of the house to the back yard? It is more than long enough, but that would involve winding it back up when done -- which he never does anyways.

So, I go into the back, called his name, and figured that he was done with the hose since all of the plants looked good and watered, so I put the stupid thing away. I really don't like having my house doors stand wide open, but that's just me. [Did I ever tell any of you guys about the raccoon that we had living under our porch and shitting on our roof? No? Well, that's one varmit I certainly don't want in the house!]

At any rate, just as I'm done with the hose, Chuck comes from around the front, pushing the mower. Excitedly, he says, "You've got to check this out. It's really cool!" I follow him to the pile of wood chips left from last weekend's chipper adventure. "Here, place your hand here," he said and laid his hand flat against the top of the pile. "It feels cool; doesn't it? Well, dig your hand in, you don't have to go really far, but feel how hot is in there." Who is this guy? Why is he so excited about hot wood chips?!? Or better yet, exactly how long has he spent crouched here playing in the wood chips? What would it take to inspire him to put those chips to good use and cover our flower beds with them?

While we were standing there, looking at the pile, he started to muse about how this would be "perfect for cold weather survival if caught in the wilderness." Who knew that I was in love with the original "Man vs. Wild"?

No comments: