Monday, February 15, 2010

Three annoyances

In case you're just joining us, let me warn you that I can be a particularly bitchy person. Hey! At least, I can admit that much....So, for your entertainment, I decided to dedicate this entry to three annoyances that I'd just like to get off my chest.

Bruxism

Yes, I'm sad to report that during my last dental cleaning and check-up, Dr. Watts kindly warned me that my gums are beginning to show the effects of me clenching and grinding my teeth (bruxism, if you will). Not only am I annoyed that I've developed this habit in the first place, but I'm particularly upset by the fact that now that I know I'm doing it and the adverse repercussions it poses, I find myself consciously trying not to do it. I must've ground my teeth pretty often, since I now find my jaw hurting out of discomfort in trying to stop myself. So, if you're talking to me and I start making faces, it's not you -- I'm just trying to not grind my teeth. Well, now that I read that last sentence over, maybe I should say that it could be you and I'm trying to not grind my teeth....


Jeans at the gym

I may not look it, but since mid-December, I've been working out at the gym 3 to 4 times a week for about an hour and a half to two hours at a time. This is amazing progress for me and I'm very proud to have been able keep this up as regularly as I have. I'm the girl on the elliptical and treadmill who is working hard and sweating like a pig. I'm in it to win it, folks. So, imagine my sheer annoyance at the crazy ladies who show up and have the absolute gall to take the machines next to me who are working out in jeans. I know that what they're wearing is completely none of my business, but c'mon! Were you elsewhere and totally forget your gym clothes? Did you just happen to drive by the gym and had the uncontrollable need to be on a step machine? This happened to me, not once, but twice....in one day....with two different casual gym patrons. Really, ladies, leave and let someone serious who is waiting to use the machine you're on get a decent work out!

Reading lace to fix a mistake

It is no accident that the Ravelympics challenge I joined was the "Lace Luge". (Go, Team Michigan!) Besides socks, lace is something that I'm not strong at. So, my project is the "Petals" wrap by Jeanne Abel. My hope was to have it done by yesterday, but that didn't happen. I somehow dropped a stitch and couldn't follow the pattern well enough to drop down and fix it without tearing out several rows. (Yes, I know that lifelines are helpful; and no, I won't use them.) My own stubbornness on that point, compounded by my weak lace skills are what have me very annoyed with knitting at the moment.

Thank you for listening. I'm on the train to La Crosse (via Chicago) and will update this entry with links and photos (of the "Petals" wrap, not my teeth) when I get to a real computer....

No comments: