Thursday, November 26, 2009

Why am I such an impulsive knitter?

On Monday, I committed to yet another Christmas knitting project. Well, actually, I committed to two. Last year, a coworker of mine brought me a Christmas stocking and asked if I can make a replicate of it for his new daughter-in-law. He emphasized that the Christmas tree motif that was on the original stocking be included in the replicate. The pattern was easy enough and he insisted that I try to make it with yarn in my stash and not go through heroics in matching colors. With that said, I used some wool that I already had and did not worry too much that the colors were more muted than the bright acrylic stocking that was being used as a template. Needless to say, I was able to complete it with no problem and finished with time to spare before Christmas. My coworker seemed very happy with the finished stocking and paid me $40 for it (which I didn't expect). Thinking that was that, I went into this Christmas season with a long list of knitting projects.

This past Monday, the same coworker came into my office with a tote bag in hand. Quietly, he explained that his son and daughter-in-law are due with a baby this December; anticipating that they'll need yet another stocking, he wondered whether I'd be able to make a stocking like I had last year. As he said this, he reached into the bag and brought out 6 other stockings. I was somewhat shocked to see that 5 were matching, with the 6th I had knit last year looking slightly off in color when set side by side with the rest. I never realized that the stocking I made was actually part of a full set. He showed me how each were set into pairs with different motifs -- snowmen, Santas, and the Christmas tree I had worked on last year. Originally, I had thought the color issue wouldn't be a big deal and figured that when they hung their stockings, it wouldn't be likely that the two would be set side by side on the mantle. Now that I saw that the one I made would stand out no matter where it was hung, I started to feel a little bad. I didn't share these thoughts with him, but listened as he asked if I could do two more with yet another generic holiday related motif (of my choosing!?!) but keep with the overall pattern and colorway set by the complete set. One stocking would be for the new baby; the second would be a preemptive stocking that we can duplicate-stitch the name on when the time comes. So, how could I say "no"? Not only am I planning on knitting the stocking for the new baby, but I also feel a need to fix the stocking from last year so that it matches the rest. (The second new stocking can come after the holidays, so am not prioritizing that one at the moment.)

Yes, I'm a little nuts, so am hoping that I can pull it all off. Yesterday, I thumbed through my Dale pattern books and bookmarked graphs for snowflakes and reindeer, but am afraid those might be a little boring. Does anyone have any suggestions for a motif?

No comments: