Friday, September 5, 2008

Shop Hop Happy

For a "relaxing" day off of work, I sure am beat! This weekend is the big Capital Area Yarn Shop Co-op's "Back to school shop hop". Basically, for $20, we received a passport for each of the 4 local yarn stores (Woven Art in East Lansing, Rae's Yarn Boutique and Threadbear Fiberart both in Lansing, and the Yarn Garden in Charlotte), a very nice and sturdy tote bag (made from cloth from recycled plastic) filled with a magazine, snacks and water, a coupon for Magdelena's Tea House (vegan restaurant next to Rae's), highlighter (?), and a folder. Each shop had a pattern especially for the shop hoppers and event-long sales.

One thing that was not explained clearly was that there was a minimum purchase required at each shop in order to receive a stamp. But once the passport was filled after visiting each shop, we would receive two free sweater patterns (which will be e-mailed sometime soon?), plus our passports would be entered into a drawing for door prizes (small knitting backpack, year-long subscription to "Knitters" magazine, something else I can't quite remember at the moment, and a $100 gift certificate to the shop of our choice).

The day was a long one -- took Sylvain in to school so that I could talk with one of his teachers (one who assigned an essay as homework for each of the students -- an essay for the parents to "describe their child in a million words or less", which I must say I came in at just over 700 words, and completely forgot to mention that Sylvain was in orchestra or even that he played an instrument; some mom I am!), plus he had wanted to switch out of two of his electives and possibly needed my to sign off on the switch (which he didn't end up needing me for). After a quick stop at Beaner's for a Mocha (skim, no whip), I headed over to Irene's to join the shop hop carpool with her, Sara, and Julie.

We started out at Woven Art and were the first hoppers through the door. Less than 15 minutes later, we were bumping elbows with about 10 other hoppers and the store was packed with eager shoppers. I must confess that I spent the whole day of shopping and didn't purchase any yarn. Yes, you read that right; not one ball/skein/hank/what have you of yarn was purchased by me. Instead, I chose to sink about $75 total in notions, a book, and patterns. [And Sara thinks that I skated away with the smallest tab of the four of us!!] While at Woven Art, I picked up the Stitch Challenge patterns for July, August, and September (I've been slacking on these), the Diakeito Shell Crochet Shawl pattern, and the Cabin Fever Evening in Eden shawl pattern.

From there, we headed to the Yarn Garden and was able to score a primo parking spot behind the shop, even though the Charlotte Frontier Days were gearing up for the weekend festival. There, I picked up a gift for Cheanne whose birthday was today (a book titled "Knitting New Scarves: 27 Distinctly Modern Designs"; I already own this book, and she really enjoyed the patterns that were in it, so I knew that she'd like it), a set of Yarn Bras (basically those plastic vegetable bags, but in a narrower weave), a basic Garter Stitch Cardigan pattern, Jade Sapphire's Diamond Flower Shawl pattern, and Karabella yarn's Sunspots Cardigan pattern.

By the time we left the Yarn Garden, we had all worked up quite an appetite and had lunch at "The Gavel" restaurant next door to the shop. I had one of the lunch specials: chicken cobb salad. I love cobb salad, but next time will skip the chicken, which was basically one or two chopped up deep-fried chicken tenders...

After lunch, we headed over the Threadbear, where you either need to go in and be inspired by a pattern or shop model found there -or- you need to go in with a project in mind and your notes as to what you needed. This is where I surprised myself and didn't succumb to the temptation of purchasing a project's worth of yarn. Easily, I had the last kit for the Tahki Stacy Charles' Doggie Throw in my hand (perfect for Chuck's mom for Christmas), but sadly it wasn't 50% off like the other kits nearby (making the $175 price a little easier to bear). I was also eyeing the beautiful shop model for Oat Couture's Seville Jacket, of which I purchased the pattern, but decided to wait on the yarn. I also purchased the pattern for Bloomoon's Garden Gate Scarf, though when I knit it, I will likely not include as many flowers (or maybe will make them a little smaller). Towards the end of our Threadbear hop, we were all starting to feel quite drained.

So, we trudged on to the final shop: Rae's Yarn Boutique. Saving this shop for last by no means indicates that we weren't interested in shopping there. It just happened to be the closest shop to Irene's house (and back to our cars). But poor Rae got to endure our tired, sorry asses as we came one by one into the door. She had quite a few customers and had things down pat to take our completed passports. I felt the burn-out coming on strong (plus was feeling revenge of the cobb -- I'm telling you, skip the chicken!), so stuck with what I knew I needed: catch-up patterns for Rae's Block of the Month Afghan. I picked up Blocks 5, 6, and 7; though now that I'm home, I see that I already have Block 5 (nuts!). I did check out the books she had to offer and nearly made it to the counter with another lace book (though the name is escaping me; I want to say that it was simply called "Knitted Lace", but I can't seem to find it on-line, so must be wrong...). My eye also caught onto the display of Knit Kards from Nancy's Knit Knacks, of which I settled on the yarn yardage table. We'll see how long it takes for it to make it into my notions kit that goes everywhere with me....

Well, there you have it folks. I won't spill the beans on each shop's sales as it's either already on their websites, stated on Ravelry, or will make you go there yourself (sorry, but I'm also friends with all of the above shop owners). In case you're wondering what the Shop Hop patterns are, I'll dish on that instead: Lindsay designed a very cute hat and scarf ensemble called the "Spinning Topper"; Nancy created a very interesting "School Colors Bag" with a very artsy design on it; Rae designed a pattern for "Astrakhan Cuffed Mittens"; and Rob wrote a new sock pattern called "Tipsy Turvy".

Throughout the day, I worked on the Feather and Fan shawl (#1) while hopping from shop to shop. The shawl is now about 3 1/2 feet long and I can't wait for the pattern to be over and done with. As you've read so far, I'll have plenty of gift ideas to pull from for the other two Interlacements hanks. So, this has been a very successful shop hop event for me....

1 comment:

handknitter said...

I had the exact same assignment from my youngest's teacher (didn't count my words, though), and also forgot the musical instrument. Oh well.

I, unlike you, purchased yarn at the shop hop. And patterns. Both of which I needed like I need a hole in my head. And, having a brain like a sieve, I don't need any more holes in my head.