Sunday, September 7, 2008

I love fall

I'm really loving this weather -- nice days, cooler nights. Yesterday was spent cleaning windows knowing that soon they'll be shut for months on end. I also met up with Sue for coffee at Beaner's, which is something that her, Carolyn, and I usually do Saturdays or Sundays during the school year, so I'm glad that that's getting back on track. We'd enjoy our coffees, knit (or in Sue's case yesterday, embroider), and vent about home, school, and life in general.

Fall also brings football season. Both excitement for the local Spartans as well as Sylvain's Chiefs. They're playing Haslett today and I'm hoping that they'll do better than the whalloping that was served up to them a couple weeks ago by Waverly. These kids have worked very hard (sometimes twice a day) and often (up to 6 days a week) and it would be good to see some magic on the field and they click together.

Sylvain's Boy Scout meetings will start back up (tomorrow) and he's really looking forward to a good year. He was busy with scouting events left and right, and in three weeks will be leaving for his "ordeal" (the induction into the Scout's Order of the Arrow). It'll be in West Branch, and the same weekend as the Northern Michigan Lamb and Wool Festival. I'm opting out as Chuck will be taking Sylvain north for me b/c he's attending the Great Lakes Star Gaze. I'm not too broken up about not going to the festival as the last thing that I need right now is more yarn and patterns. Between the whole month of August and the Shop Hop, I'm squared away for quite a while. Well, I'm sure that I'll pick up a few things here and there, but for the most part am content.

Still working on the Feather and Fan shawl and am quite tired of the pattern <again>. Sylvain is supposed to be at the home field by 2:30 for his 5:15 game (which is in Haslett). The coach prefers for us to caravan to the away games, which is fine, but since it's not clear what time the caravan is supposed to roll out, I'm just going to sit in the parking lot and knit. Sure, Feather and Fan is going with me, but I'd like to finish that Daphne bag I had started, tore back, and abandoned on its needles. Plus, I'm ready to start seaming together some of my squares from the Great American Aran Afghan. And let's not even think about the projects in the queue.

As for movies, we started watching Stephen King's "IT" last night, and I fell asleep to that. Yeah, you know you're in rough shape when Pennywise can't keep you awake. Apparently, Sylvain and Chuck started watching the first couple episodes of "Supernatural", then Sylvain too was asleep to that. So, unlike last weekend, where I woke to find myself in the den alone; this morning, I awoke and found Sylvain cuddled on the other end of the couch and Chuck still in the nearby recliner. It was 5:30, so I felt a little guilty about waking them so I can watch "Goya's Ghost", which needs to go back to Blockbuster today. Oh well, I'll have to check it out again some other time. Through the on-line Blockbuster program, we get so many movies from the store for free we can check out things over and over again and not feel like we've lost anything. Shame that it can be so wasteful...

No comments: