Saturday, January 15, 2011

What have I been doing all this time?: The Movies

Last time, I gave a rather lengthy update about the knitting. Since then, I'm very sad to say that I haven't made much progress. The past week has been full of work -- so much so that I was completely burned out by the time Friday rolled around. It's Saturday and Chuck & I are in Cleveland; he ran off to hang out with his friend, Leo, to take nature pictures at one of the nearby Metroparks with their fancy pants cameras. I was going slightly stir crazy hanging out at Chuck's parent's house, so (thankfully Chuck left the car, but with the gas light on....) escaped to explore a shop that I've been meaning to visit for a while now: Stitch Cleveland. The shop is on Detroit Road in Rocky River and parking is at a premium, but I felt welcome the moment I walked in. I know I've seen an ad for the shop in a craft magazine somewhere -- how else would I have heard of it? -- but found that they cater primarily to sewing. The shop shelves were filled with fun bolts of cloth, great books of inspiring sewing project ideas and patterns (ones that would be right up my alley, if I knew how to sew well), and room for instruction. One look at their class list made me jealous that there wasn't a shop like this in Lansing because I could see myself taking classes from them (JANE, maybe this is the niche that needs your creativity!).

Anyhow, since Stitch Cleveland was not a knit shop, my little shopping adventure took less time than I had hoped. So, now, I'm hanging out in a nearby Caribou Coffee, knitting, and thankful for the time to write an update (that, and the fact that I had the wherewithal to grab Chuck's laptop as I headed out the door). I'm two seconds away from grabbing my iPod to listen to as I type because, it's not the table of Greek men having a very loud and animated discussion (are all of their discussions loud and animated?) but its the guy sitting in the armchair next to me lecturing a poor, elderly, total stranger about how Cleveland "isn't the town it used to be." Did I mention that this guy was maybe in his late-30s? Maybe? I'm beginning to wonder if he's mining her for details on her life experiences....something that an author with next to no resources might do to gain perspective....its kind of sad and I'm having a hard time tuning him out into the background noise....

Ahh, that's better -- the iPod is indeed out and I'm using deadmau5's 4x4=12 to drown out the unwanted sound around me. So, where was I? Oh yeah, so now that you're pretty much caught up on the knitting, let me update you on the movies....

On DVD:

Legion: I can't help myself -- I enjoy mindless action movies, what can I say? I found myself last spring standing in Blockbuster and looking for one movie that Sylvain, Chuck, and I would actually watch together. This is what I picked, so watched together we did. I was picked on relentlessly afterwards. Yep, I can't write a synopsis or anything now, because I truly cannot recall the plot or even how it ends. It was that kind of movie.

Coco Before Chanel: The next time I went into Blockbuster, I picked up a movie for just myself and this was it. I didn't know a whole lot about Coco Chanel before, so found this movie interesting and enjoyed it.

The Wolfman: This movie was another intended for viewing by the whole family, but I can't say that it kept my interest at all -- it totally put me to sleep! Chuck thought it was a totally predictable story with mediocre acting. Maybe a hard-core werewolf fan would beg to differ....

Occasionally, I've been picking up movies that I want Sylvain to watch because I can't imagine him having a childhood without these films. Ladyhawke is one of these films; what's not to like? It had Rutger Hauer, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Matthew Broderick! A love story with magic and sword fighting. I loved watching this movie again; Sylvain did not want to watch it at all, so after just a few minutes, he left the room to find something else to do.

The Road: I read the novel several years ago, so pretty much knew what to expect. I remember feeling rather let down by my guys for one thing or another, so I decided to rent this movie as payback for family movie night knowing that it was going to be a downer. Yes, I'm that kind of a mother. Let's just say that both Chuck and Sylvain were as depressed as I knew they would be by this film -- nothing like using images of the Apocalypse to get your point across that you were not happy someone.

I've also started watching Mad Men, so have watched all of Seasons 1 and 2, and will begin with Season 3 when I have some real down-time to watch several episodes at once. (That won't happen until later this spring.) Let's just say that I'm happy to live in this day and age -- I'm not sure that I would make it in the business world if this show is an accurate portrayal. I'm no Peggy and certainly don't have the vixen ways of Joan.

The Runaways
: I like Joan Jett much in the way that I like any other 80s band that comes onto the radio -- I'll listen to the song, sing along to the parts I know, but not make any effort to tune in another channel. So, I didn't know anything about Joan's previous band, The Runaways, before watching this film. It was news to me that she was in a band with Lita Ford -- someone I know only from her duet with Ozzy Osborne on "Close My Eyes Forever". This movie was mildly entertaining; whether much of the story was spot on as a biopic or not, I didn't care.

Date Night: Knowing that I would have a chance to see Mark Wahlberg shirtless was all that I needed to know to want to rent this movie; so, it was another selection of mine for family movie night. We enjoyed watching this movie of mistaken identity and mishap, so I would recommend this to anyone who's looking for movie-night fluff.

Grey Gardens: After watching this, I wish that I could get my hands on the original Grey Gardens documentary. Around the same time as I watched this film, I was also reading "Dead End Gene Pool" by Wendy Burden. In both, the main characters had been wealthy, but their eccentricities led to a detachment from the rest of the world. I couldn't help but be entranced with wonder at how anyone could live life in the way that these characters seemed to float through theirs: The Beales in their slow decay and The Burdens in their complete indifference for one another.

Rustlers' Rhapsody
: Another one of my childhood favorites that I rented with the idea that Sylvain would enjoy it as much as I did. I thought the lure of seeing GW Bailey in a role other than Lt. Provenza from The Closer would've piqued Sylvain's interest enough to watch this movie with me, but I was 100% wrong. I watched it by myself anyways and fell back in love with this movie. Chuck later watched it by himself and remarked later that he was surprised to find it enjoyable (he rarely appreciates the same movies as me). How many movies are there where Andy Griffith plays the bad guy? Tom Berenger played the lead -- Rex O'Herlihan, the Singing Cowboy who rides town to town and settles any wrong-doing he encounters along the way; Marilu Henner and a very young Sela Ward play potential love interests.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World: I can't say that anyone in my house are big fans of Michael Cera....I enjoyed watching Arrested Development when it was on Fox, but didn't really watch the show because he in particular was on it. This was another family movie night selection and one that the three of us collectively thought was okay. The premise was that a teen named Scott Pilgrim needed to battle the seven evil exes of the girl he'd like to date with garage rock band drama in the background. We all thought some of the battles with the evil exes were a little lame, but, really, what did we expect?

Anne of the Thousand Days: This one has been in my queue forever and it seemed like its status was always "Very Long Wait", so I was really surprised when it finally arrived in my mailbox. I've had a long festering fascination with Henry VIII, so enjoyed seeing Richard Burton play the King set on destroying England to satisfy himself. Needless to say, this is one that I picked for myself and liked it. I didn't see Sylvain or Chuck having the patience to watch a movie about Anne Boleyn, so didn't even try to get them to watch it with me.

Salt: Chuck and I watched this one while Sylvain was out of town; usually, I'm a fan of Angelina Jolie's films, but found myself somewhat bored by this one. **Spoiler**: once it became revealed that she really was a Russian plant, I knew how the rest of the story would play out; just needed to watch the fine details of it all. And that revelation was very early on in the film. Let's just say that I got a lot of knitting done during this movie....

The Expendables: As I watched this movie, I couldn't help but wonder at what stars Sylvain would consider as the action-heroes of his generation. This movie seemed to have them all for me: Stallone (Rambo), Lundgren (He-Man), and Rourke (Harley Davidson). This was a straight out of the '80s movie: team of special ops freelancers are hired by a nameless figure to take down some dictator on a made-up island; things are blown-up; ladies in distress are saved; good guys show off their hearts of gold buried deep beneath a rough exterior. I was entertained, but I'm easy that way.....

That's it for DVDs; sitting at home and waiting for us to watch are: ¡Three Amigos!, Mary, Queen of Scots, and The White Diamond. Hopefully, I'll have some time this weekend when we get home tomorrow to watch these....

In the Theater:

Inception: I cannot imagine seeing this movie at home -- for me, this movie was meant to be seen on the big screen; the dream sequences depicted by Christopher Nolan were incredible and I felt thoroughly engrossed while watching this movie. Unfortunately, I can't really even tell you what this movie was about because I'm still debating with myself over what it all means several months after seeing it.

Red: I can best describe this movie as "The Expendables" for the geriatric crowd. Chuck and I were by far the youngest people in the theater; but that's not to say that the movie wasn't entertaining. How often does one see a Dame brandish a rocket launcher? Ugh, almost never. I'm still holding out that Judy Dench will get her chance if another 007 movie were made.

Skyline: I am 100% ashamed to admit that I saw this piece of shit movie in the theater. If you happened to have seen this at Celebration Cinema and was annoyed by someone loudly laughing during "important" scenes -- sorry, that was me. I don't walk out of theaters no matter what, and this movie tested my endurance. If a sequel is made for this film, then creativity has truly died in Hollywood. Then again, even Leprechaun had a sequel....

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1): This book was boring to read, so likewise, the movie was also boring to watch. I would have much preferred a condensed amount of camping and not have split the book into two movies, but what do I know? I also could've gone without the near nudity of Hermione -- there's children in the audience for God's sake and the point of making Ron jealous could have been played out without that. Not that I'm a prude or anything, but if I had a younger child with me, I would've been disappointed by that unnecessary scene.....

Black Swan: This was an amazing movie about a ballerina pushed over the edge by the lead roles in a production of Swan Lake. I say "pushed over the edge" because she was crazy to begin with -- driven so by a mother who was living vicariously through her. I will never watch another episode of "That 70s Show" and think the same of Mila Kunis after watching the graphic girl-on-girl scenes that she was in with Natalie Portman.....I'm sure neither will Chuck and Mark who were sitting on each side of me and finding much more enjoyment in that part of the movie.

Tron: Legacy: Chuck, Sylvain, and I saw this in IMAX 3D and I still fell asleep! So, despite being in wonder at how Jeff Daniels can be reimaged to look like his '80s self to portray Clu, as well as Bruce Boxleitner to play Tron, and my enjoyment of Daft Punk's soundtrack, the "story" just didn't pull me in enough to stay awake.

I also saw a couple of Met Live in HD shows at the theater: Don Pasquale and La Fanciulla del West. Thru the HD broadcasts, I'm slowly broadening my horizons into opera and can say that I've enjoyed these shows. I am by no means a critic, so can't really comment on the production too much.

So, if you made it to the end of this, congratulations -- you're now caught up with what I've been watching while knitting. Next time, I'll give a quick run-down of the books I've been reading -- there's been quite a few over the past months.

1 comment:

debra said...

The CADL Library has a copy of the original "Grey Gardens."