Friday, August 21, 2009

Decisions, decisions


Spurned by the discovery that weaving projects can now be entered onto Ravelry, I felt a tremendous need to finish my woven market bag that I had worked on way back in April. This bag was woven out of Louet Euroflax Geneva for the warp and some of Nancy's hand-dyed Kona superwash wool for the weft. The patterning included a band of plain weave with leno for the bag body (which, BTW, is pronounced "lee-no", not like that big-chinned late-night doofus who I can't believe now has his own prime-time show).

So, last night, while waiting for Sylvain to return home on the team bus from his scrimage, I pulled out the sewing machine and got to work. I had started seaming up the sides by hand, but that was just plain taking too long. Within a short period of time, I had both sides seamed and the strap sewn in place.

The decision I'm struggling with now is what fabric to line it with. I really don't want to purchase new fabric and have some satin on hand, but am unsure if that is the right fabric for this project. Given the open weave of leno, I'm wondering how well the satin will hold up. If it'll be fine, then decision comes down to using either the purple or salmon colored fabric that I already have. If its not the right fabric, then what? Anyone have any fabric or color suggestions? If I go with a different fabric, should I wash it first? In the past, I've melded the fabric to a piece of interfacing and didn't bother to wash it. I don't plan to use interfacing for this project, so am a little unsure on how the satil will hold up on its own...

Okay, enough weaving talk. It's been a while since I've commented on crazy people or situations that've gone on around me, and yesterday, I saw something that made me actually clap with joy. Chuck and I took a different route home from the football scrimage in St. Johns by staying on Business 27 into town. I must've missed the turn for Lake Lansing Road, so just took Saginaw St. to Grand River. While stopped at the intersection of Grand River and Abbott, there were 2 pairs of E.L.P.D. officers on bikes riding up and down the lanes of stopped cars. One officer rode up to the car next to us and asked the driver to pull over onto Abbott Road on campus. This was at 7 pm and the only thing I could think of is that maybe the driver wasn't wearing their seatbelt. Their car was just a little bit ahead of ours, so I couldn't see into the front seats to know whether my guess was correct. Thinking that I'm right-on made me quite happy. Getting caught without your seatbelt on is such a stupid way to earn a ticket. Sure, they had Pennsylvania plates, but are there any states where seatbelt use is optional? Wearing a seatbelt has long been a pet peeve of mine and I've been known to not start driving until everyone in the car is buckled up. Not to sound like a total kill-joy, but I can't think of anyone that's worth me getting ticketed over.

No comments: