Saturday, April 11, 2009

Wednesday back on track?

Since Tuesday felt like such a chaotic day because we deviated from what I had originally planned, we agreed to try and get back on track. We arrived to the Animal Kingdom in time for the early Magic Hours of 7 am to 9 am. (I won't make you cringe by telling you what time we got up.) Once we arrived at the park, we headed straight to Expedition Everest for Fast Passes with return times of 9:05 - 10:05, which wasn't too shabby. With Passes in hand, we immediately set off for the Kilaminjaro Safari and stood in what at first appeared to be a long line with a cast member warning that the ride didn't open until 8 am. It was already 7:45, so waiting 15 more minutes for opening didn't seem so bad; besides, the long line was mostly because the actual gates weren't open. Once people were allowed to file in, the line quickly disappeared. We made it to the staging platform by 8:10, which proved that hanging out and waiting was very worthwhile.

[NOTE: I had forgotten to charge the camera batteries, so was stuck with only the camera on my blackberry. I'll post photos from the tour soon....]

After the safari, we still had time to kill before Expedition Everest, so we went on the Pangani Forest walking tour. I enjoyed the walk just fine, but in true teenager style, Sylvain claimed to be bored by it. Next, we rode Expedition Everest, which was a good ride and I wouldn't mind riding it again.

Dinoland USA was next on our list, and we rode the Primeval Whirl (a coaster that was very similar to the Mad Mouse coaster at Michigan's Adventure) and Dinosaur (an in-door dino themed coaster). The wait for both lines were very long, so I'm very happy that I had packed my sock project in my bag. Also, Sylvain was quite frustrated by families that were cutting lone in front of us. I'm afraid that one of these days, his mouth is going to get him into trouble...

After these rides, we split up for lunch -- I went to Restaurantosaurus for a burger and fries (sadly, it feels like I'm having too many of these) and Sylvain went to the Flaming Tree Barbecue for a turkey leg. While we were eating, a Spanish family stopped to ask us, first, if we spoke Spanish (which we don't) and, second, what Sylvain was eating. We told them that it was a turkey leg, but they didn't appear to understand and asked us if that was a type of pig. The only thing I could think of was to say, "Bird. It's a big bird;" to which their child looked quite alarmed, and now that I think of it wonder if he was thinking we meant the actual Big Bird.

Since Sylvain was not at all interested in any other part of Animal Kingdom, we decided to spend the afternoon playing putt-putt at the Fantasia Gardens courses near the Swan Resort. It was an easy bus ride to the course, and it was a wonderful day to be out playing mini-golf. Let me just say for the record that I am not a golfer. Playing golf of any sort (mini- or otherwise) is not my idea of fun. As such, I ended up taking the 6-stroke mercy every hole. On the plus side, the three-years worth of golf league membership that Sylvain's enjoyed has paid off.

After golf, we headed back to the Animal Kingdom to make our dinner reservations at Tusker House. The food was African cuisine served buffet-style, so the choices were many. Returning to his uncooperative self, Sylvain opted to have only corn dogs and mac-n-cheese, dashing any hopes that he'd branch out and try something new. Later, he'd complain of a stomachache, which I dubbed revenge of the corn dogs. Yes, I am a sensitive and caring parent....

After dinner, we headed back to our resort, where Sylvain went for a swim while I sat pool-side and read my book club book. We hoped to head back out for the 10 pm - 1 am Magic Hours at the Hollywood Studios park, but both fell asleep during Lost. At this point, I can confidently say that our patience with the crowds is gone and that we've seen all that we had wanted to see at Disney World.

No comments: